Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Faith

"I see God as the Master Designer," said Latrobe. "He surveyed and set onto paper, if you will, His own design for mankind-much as I put together the design for the bridge below us. God laid out His plan, marking each and every item with careful consideration as to how it would fall into place with the next item in line. 
"He saw the rivers, the ravines, the mountains, and He planned for each of these well in advance. Then with His plan established, He created mankind and shared His way with them. Much as I shared my designs for the Potomac Viaduct with the railroad's board of directors. What they chose to do with it from that point was up to them. What I choose to do with God's plan is up to me. Just as it's up to you."
James grew strangely disturbed at this analogy. "So you're saying it's our own fault that things happen, that people die, and that evil prospers."
"I'm saying that we take God's design and make changes to suit ourselves and then wonder why the master plan is so flawed." Latrobe looked at him with stern yet compassionate eyes. "For instance, I can tell even at this distance that the contractor did not heed my bridge design in total. He made certain changes, no doubt to save money, but for whatever reason, those changes were made without ever consulting me or seeking the truth on why things were laid out a certain way. If what we witnessed today worsens, how can I be held accountable for the problems that ensue? They refused to follow my plan."


---excerpt from A Hope Beyond by Judith Pella and Tracie Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment